Story of the Millthorpe Motel

Home / Story of the Millthorpe Motel

Our Story

History begins in 1930


Where it all started

The motel’s history dates back to the 1930s.

Since being built the motel cottage has been used for several purposes. Dentist, butchers and for 67 years residence to Willam (Bill) Henry and Elsie Oborn. The other main historic building was a produce store.


Stylish leader of local hospitality

Construction started in the last week of January 2008 and was the biggest economic development in the town for several years.

The greatest care was taken to ensure the streetscape and overall look of the buildings were preserved and retained as much of the internal features as possible. The motel reception and 2 loft apartments were developed using the shells of the historic produce store. The 2 bedroom apartment and studio room were developed within the shell of the historic Victorian cottage.
Also included in the original construction was eight units in new structures at the rear of the block.

The Millthorpe Motel was opened in late 2008


Completion of the Motel

In 2010 the rear of the block was completed adding an additional eight units in 2 new structures.

What now houses Slow Wine Co. was also completed in this stage of the construction.


We look forward to your visit!

The Millthorpe Boutique Motel is 4 star AAA rated and offers 20 rooms.

Getting to Millthorpe is easy. The historic town is 20 minutes’ drive southeast of Orange, only 10 minutes from Orange Airport, and 30 minutes west of Bathurst. The drive from Sydney is 3 1/2 hours and Canberra 3 hours making Millthorpe the perfect location for the business traveller or a weekend getaway.




Our Words

About our Village